ATTITUDE-THE X FACTOR

Bikash Kumar Jena
8TH Sem IT
My role model (my brother’s friend) Raghu is a kind of guy you love to hate. I’m sharing some hands-on experience I had with him. He is always in a good mood and always has something positive to say. He was in a restaurant. When someone would ask him how he was doing, he would reply, "If I were any better, I would be twins!" He was a unique manager because he had several waiters who had followed him around from restaurant to restaurant. The reason the waiters followed Raghu was because of his attitude. He was a natural motivator. If an employee was having a bad day, Raghu was there telling the employee how to look on the positive side of the situation.

Seeing this style really made me curious, so one day I went up to Raghu and asked him, I don't get it! You can't be a positive person all the time. How do you do so?" Raghu replied, "Each morning I wake up and say to myself, Raghu, you have two choices today. You can choose to be in a good mood or you can choose to be in a bad mood. I choose to be in a good mood. Each time something bad happens, I can choose to be a victim or I can choose to learn from it. I choose to learn from it. Every time someone comes to me complaining, I can choose to accept their complaining or I can point out the positive side of life. I choose the positive side of life. "Yeah, right, it's not that easy," I protested. "Yes it is," Raghu said. "Life is all about choices. When you cut away all the junk, every situation is a choice. You choose how you react to situations. You choose how people will affect your mood. You choose to be in a good mood or bad mood. The bottom line: It's your choice how you live life."

I reflected on what Raghu said. Soon thereafter, I left the city and came for studies. We lost touch, but I often thought about him when I made a choice about life instead of reacting to it.

Several years later, I heard that Raghu did something one is never supposed to do in a restaurant business: he left the back door open one morning and was held up at gunpoint by three armed robbers. While trying to open the safe, his hand, shaking of nervousness, slipped off the combination. The robbers panicked and shot him. Luckily, Raghu was found quickly and was rushed to the local trauma center.
After 18 hours of surgery and weeks of intensive care, Raghu was discharged from the hospital with fragments of the bullets still in his body. I saw Raghu about six months after the accident. When I asked him how he was, he replied, "If I were any better, I'd be twins. Wanna see my scars?" I declined to see his wounds, but did ask him what had gone through his mind as the robbery took place. "The first thing that went through my mind was that I should have locked the back door," Raghu replied. "Then, as I laid on the floor, I remembered that I had two choices: I could choose to live or I could choose to die. I chose to live."

"Weren't you scared? Did you lose consciousness?" I asked.

Raghu continued, "...The paramedics were great. They kept telling me I was going to be fine. But when they wheeled me into the ER and I saw the expressions on the faces of the doctors and nurses, I got really scared. In their eyes, I read 'he's a dead man'. I knew I needed to take action." "What did you do?" I asked. "Well, there was a big burly nurse shouting questions at me," said Raghu. "She asked if I was allergic to anything.’Yes' I replied. The doctors and nurses stopped working as they waited for my reply. I took a deep breath and yelled, 'Bullets!' Over their laughter, I told them, 'I am choosing to live. Operate on me as if I am alive, not dead'." Raghu lived, thanks to the skill of the doctors, but also because of his amazing attitude. I learned from him that every day we have the choice to live fully. Attitude, after all, is everything.


So how to achieve Self-Improvement/Positive-Attitude ?

No one enjoys hearing negative comments from others, especially if there is no constructive value of them. So why put up with these comments when they come from you. Negative thinking makes you less attractive to the abundance around you and more attractive to all that you don't want. You attract what you think about and focus on. The main reason why people fall short of their desires in life is self sabotage. Most of it happens at a very subtle subconscious level. Many of those negative thoughts that you get, even the little tiny ones that last only milliseconds are part of your self sabotage. Deleting your automatic negative programming and replacing it with positives is a monumental task, but it can be accomplished in a number of ways. You can change your body and even your whole life and make it what you want if you start by following these guidelines to set yourself up for success:
1. Recognize your potential We can't all have a body like Arnold Schwarzenegger or Elle McPherson. With the right genetics and self-determination you might come close if you're prepared to do what it takes. But with a realistic assessment of your body, natural attributes and limitations you will be able to avoid the disappointment from unrealistic expectations. Be careful not to sell yourself short though.
2. Define your purpose the whys behind what you do will lend power to your success potential. If your reasons for working out, dieting or training at something are strong enough they will pull you toward the outcome you desire. Keeping in mind the compelling reasons for what you want will help keep the dream alive. If you don't have compelling reasons you will drop the goal when the going gets tough.
3. Decide the goals you want Keep your long term goal in mind but focus on the little steps that achieve the short-term goals that lead to your ultimate desired result. Make your timeframe realistic and be patient with yourself. You can always make adjustments along the way. Remind yourself that 'Rome wasn't built in a day'.
4. Discipline yourself Focus on your goals, see yourself already there and put in the action that is necessary. Working out and eating right require discipline. Discipline focuses one’s attention and draws one to one’s goal. Train yourself to every day do at least one thing that you don't want to do, that if you did it, would advance you closer to your goal.
5. Get motivated Keep your purpose foremost in your mind for that extra push toward achieving your goals. Keep the negatives at bay when setbacks and procrastination arise by focusing on the end product rather than the process to get there. If you think about the cold early morning start rather than the good feeling of completing your workout you won't get past first base.
6. Develop self-confidence Believe in your ability to achieve your goals. Don't allow yourself the luxury of indulging in complains, expressing self-doubt or frustration. Visualize yourself achieving the success your want. Do activities that give you feelings of success and accomplishment.
7. Replace negatives with positives This may be easier said than done but you've got to start to develop the positivity habit. Catch yourself whenever you hear a negative thought and stop it. Enlist the aid of a partner to help you.
8. Avoid negative people and situations You wouldn't choose to breathe toxin-laden air or eat poisonous food, would you? So why stay in the presence of people and situations that are emotionally toxic. Negativity is contagious... just as positivity is.
9. Accept what is Accepting things for the way they are does not mean you have to like it or that it can't be changed. Once you accept it you remove your subconscious resistance and you can actually proceed to change it. Moaning and complaining keep you attached to that very thing you are whining about and push away the very thing you say you want. Your thoughts create your reality. Negative thinking will drag you down and obstruct your goals. Change your thinking and you change your world.
Another wonderful info.
Arthur Ashe, the legendary Wimbledon player was dying of AIDS. From world over, he received letters from his fans, one of which conveyed:

"Why does GOD have to select you for such a bad disease"?

To this Arthur Ashe replied: The world over -- 5 crore children start
Playing tennis, 50 lakh learn to play tennis, 5 lakh learn professional
Tennis, 50,000 come to the circuit, 5000 reach the grand slam, 50 reach
Wimbledon, 4 to semi final, 2 to the finals, when I was holding a cup I
Never asked GOD "Why me?".

And today in pain I should not be asking GOD "Why me?”

Happiness keeps u Sweet, Trials keep u Strong, and Sorrow keeps u Human,
Failure Keeps u Humble, Success keeps u Glowing,* But only God Keeps u
Going*

0 comments:

Post a Comment